In this video knife maker Walter Sorrells talks about some of the mistakes he made when he first started making knives…and how to avoid making those same mistakes. Some may disagree with some specifics…but the basic thrust of the video is to stress the importance of acquiring basic knowledge of fundamental skills.
Here are some metallurgy sources:
* Metallurgy of Steel for Bladesmiths & Others who Heat Treat and Forge Steel by John D. Verhoeven
* Heat Treating Chapter, Navy Repairman's Manual — http://www.mwdropbox.com/Dropbox/NAVY-repairmans-manual-Chapter15.pdf
* The Making, Shaping and Treating of Steel, by US Steel (various editions)
* Other Old Books on Heat Treating & Metallurgy — Tons of these can be found fairly cheaply on alibris.com. Some of the info may be outdated, but they're worth picking up.
* Kevin Cashen has written a lot about heat treating all over the internet, but here's just one useful link: http://www.cashenblades.com/heattreatment.html
* bladesmithsforum.com – lot's of knowledgeable smiths. Like all forums, you have to sift good from bad info.
* As always, Google is your friend. Seach the web and you'll find lots of useful material.
Help us bring you more great videos! Support Walter at:
Find more of Walter's work and instructional videos at: www.waltersorrellsblades.com.
Video Rating: / 5
How I Make Money, My Book- https://youtu.be/gB32LjewXpA
Amazon Link- http://www.amazon.com/The-Homestead-Craftsman/e/B01C4QOD78/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1
Making Engraving Tools- https://youtu.be/YFXo25A8RjA
Axe Restoration- https://youtu.be/6O_ZIu3RAcg
Who doesn't want to make a knife?…well here's what I came up with. I used a piece of scrap of Damascus steel from Smokey Mountain Knifeworks. The rest of the materials used to make the knife was stuff I already had: Brass, plastic, leather and wood. It was very basic in construction and pretty simple to make. I've been looking at a bunch of knives, books and videos on the topic lately. I've toyed around with knife making, but up until this point haven't really completed something that can truly be called a knife. It was a lot of fun and I'm already working on #2. I hope you enjoyed the video. I'll be posting pics of the knife over on Facebook, here's the link. https://www.facebook.com/The-Homestead-Craftsman-151656998374912/
Music- “Creative Commons Attribution music by Josh Woodward” www.joshwoodward.com
Video Rating: / 5